Skip to main content

The First Week

So... I'm back in the classroom and the whirlwind of planning, and integrating gradeless has begun. The first day of school was something new where the principal invited parents to come to school for the morning. There was a 10 minute time slot per period so that the parents could meet the teacher. I was quite nervous about this as I knew there would be a million and one questions about going gradeless. Thankfully, I had prepared a parent letter with some of the details of this process and felt armed enough to tackle any question thrown my way.

I was completely surprised by the number of parents that attended! My classroom was almost full. And...the parents did not come with pitchforks, and were (if I wasn't deluding myself) somewhat happy that gradeless was here. Perhaps the ideas of essentially having me as a one on one tutor with their child or that there would be immediate feedback through meaningful conversations with their child put them at ease, but I was relieved that they seemed to be giving me the green light to work with a gradeless framework.

In the classroom, the kids have been adjusting to this new change. What? No homework and no notes? Instead, you want me to listen to what's being taught and actually think more on my own? As the days continued, the kids were more and more willing to participate and have a voice in class so that they could demonstrate their understanding and interact with me. At first they were confused that I wouldn't accept a simplistic answer, but adjusted to me forcing them to support their ideas with textual proof. I purposefully modelled the level of detail and thought that I wanted them to demonstrate in further work during these conversations about the content questions to a short story. The weird thing was that most of them had written notes and did the work that would have normally been assigned as homework, but I didn't check them and actually diverted from them in our discussion to prompt them to more insightful analysis.

I continue to struggle a little with trying to gain acceptance from some of my colleagues for innovative assessment styles and allowing students have choice with their assignments. For the novel study unit, I have approval from my department head to give the students choice of 5-8 novels that they can study. This is very encouraging and should engage more students.  There are so many ideas floating in my head about gradelesss... I wish that I had unlimited resources and authority to try and develop different things. I hope that the gradeless roller coaster ride will be interesting and not fling me off into space!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on my first year in a "gradeless" or feedback-focussed classroom

We have now had two weeks of school and the rhythm is returning. Clubs and teams are up and running and classes are even going on their first field trips. It’s amazing how quickly everyone gets into the swing of things. However, I have been taking it pretty slowly in my classes. This is partially because all the “official documents” that I need to give the students are still not complete and partially because I don’t want to overwhelm students with the whole gradeless, feedback-focused, place-based and inquiry-based program all at once. I ran my grade 9, Issues in Canadian Geography, classes as gradeless last year. Essentially, the whole course was inquiry-based and we used five overarching learning goals that followed the inquiry cycle and that were organized into a learning map. Students completed guided and then open inquiries based on the curriculum. I consulted with students as they moved through the inquiry cycle and gave verbal and some written feedback (usually through Google F

When giving feedback, relationships matter, but so does what you say and how you say it

"However, the thing that really matters in feedback is the relationship between the student and the teacher. Every teacher knows that the same feedback given to two similar students can make one try harder and the second give up. When teachers know their students well, they know when to push and when to back off. Moreover, if students don’t believe their teachers know what they’re talking about or don’t have the students’ best interests at heart, they won’t invest the time to process and put to work the feedback teachers give them. Ultimately, when you know your students and your students trust you, you can ignore all the “rules” of feedback. Without that relationship, all the research in the world won’t matter." ~from “Is the Feedback You’re Giving Students Helping or Hindering?” by Dylan Wiliam This quote from Dylan Wiliam is resonating strongly with me today. As a team we spent today mostly looking at student self-assessment. We visited Jonathan So ’s grade 6 classroo

Final evaluations: square peg in a round hole?

One of the best aspects of the TLLP is the ability of our team members to have release time to discuss our classroom experiences, to visit other schools and classrooms and to plan for what we will do in our classrooms. During today’s meeting, we all had a level of frustration around final evaluations. Every secondary school in the board has been helping teachers to revise and update their final evaluations so that they more closely meet our vision for empowering modern learners with “informative and purposeful assessment.” This has been a rewarding but also difficult process where all aspects of our final evaluations have to be examined, compared to a set of success criteria, and then revised to be more equitable, engaging and purposeful. This revision process is not where I had frustration, however. It is the breakdown of marks between term work (70%) and final evaluations (30%). It’s hard to articulate the reasons why this doesn’t fit a feedback-focused class. It’s like a square pe